Thursday, September 13, 2012

Was Harris Teeter's Super Doubles Worth It?

Wednesday was the first day of the Super Doubles at Harris Teeter.  But was it worth it?  Was this just another day of chasing the deals only to find out that the prices were inflated so that couponers were not getting the deals they expected?
Well, for at least one of my bizzy coupon bees, today was a bust at HT.  My husband and I walked into the store and the first person we saw was one of the few couponing men in my circle of coupon buddies.  He told me that he could only find a couple of the items on his list because the shelves were cleared of the items he was shopping for.  My dear husband (who would have rather been home watching the Nationals play ball) said, "Can we go home now?"

I had a list of about twenty-five items and knew that I would not buy them all.  Keeping in mind that the coupon limit at HT is 20 and I had a coupon or two for each of the items on my list.   So, I gave Hampton a few items to find and I hunted for the rest. 
Total before swiping my loyalty card - $100.45


Much to my surprise, I found most of what I came to buy.  In fact, I had to put some items back because I had too many coupons.  I did get three rainchecks for items that were all gone:  Kraft Homestyle Mac 'n Cheese $2 (free w/$1 q-pon); 9 oz. Dawn dish detergent 99¢ (free w/$1 q-pon); and Maruschan Yakisoba Noodles $1.19 (free w/$1 q-pon).  I will try again tomorrow and may be again Friday, too.  Hopefully, the shelves will be restocked by then.

But was it really worth it?  Check the pictures of my bottom line.

Total after swiping my loyalty card & before coupons - $71.48

Total after coupons - $32.98!
















BUT WAIT!!! At check out I received four catalinas: 
  • $2 on my next shopping order (triggered by buying Kraft shredded cheese)
  • $1 on any three Campbell's Condensed Great for Cooking Soups (triggered by buying (1 can Progresso Recipe Starter)
  • Buy any Glade Expressions Oil Diffuser Starter Kit or Refill and Save $2 on a future order
  • Save $3 on any "Glade Expressions" Oil Diffuser Starter Kit
In other words, I received $5 in catalinas that will double to $10 when I go back the HT on Thursday AND get 5% off my entire order because it is Senior Discount Thursday.

Was it worth it?  It was for me!

Happy Couponing,
ShaRon, The Bizzy Coupon Bee